A team from Proactive Health Partner recently finished 3rd in the corporate section of new Stockholm competition Huvudstadsstafetten. Go Jepp!
Tuula Tallavaara, our board member in Alfvén & Didrikson Invest AB, recently co-founded new Swedish law firm Baumgarten, Byström, Rooth & Tallavaara.
For more info see bbrtpartners.com.
Trustly recently demoed its Direktbetalning product at the Finovate fair in London.
Trustly Direktbetalning is a direct person-to-person bank payment solution embedded in the marketplace and does not require its users to learn any new behaviour or sign up to any new feature. It features:
- Direct and seamless payments embedded in the marketplace
- Integrated instant identification – no false identities can be used
- Fraud guarantee offered to both buyer and seller for complete peace of mind
Trustly Direktbetalning leverages Trustly’s proprietary direct bank e-Payment system. Its first marketplace partner is Blocket.se, Sweden’s largest marketplace with an aggregate value of ads posted in excess of €30B per year. It can, in principle, be embedded into any online marketplace in the world, or offered as a stand-alone service.
Håkan Erixon, our board member in Alfvén & Didrikson Invest AB, was recently elected chair of Saab Parts AB.
For more info see saabparts.com.
Today the A&D team has been strengthened by Lina Birgersson. Lina will help us with project co-ordination and be responsible for our office.
We wish Lina very welcome!
January marks the end of Andrea for us with our valued project co-ordinator going off to study in Lund. We thank her for all her great efforts in making us more efficient and structured. We wish her the best of luck in her studies.
Dear Friends and A&D Family,
2012 was a year of good fortune for us and our investee companies. In March, Nasdaq listed Trinity Biotech assumed responsibility for the next phase of Fiomi’s development and we quickly deployed the proceeds in new and exciting ventures. During the year, we invested in Proactive Health Partner, Phoniro and Gardio. Our total of six investee companies today have close to 100 co-workers who are faced with very different challenges in their day-to-day deed. Yet, our investee companies have some distinct features in common:
- Our companies are early adopters of new technology: Phoniro has probably the biggest installed base globally of locks that can be opened using a mobile phone. Calmark took steps to introduce a completely new way of performing in-vitro diagnostics, using only a disposable and a smartphone. At the end of the day, only technology will give real economic development. We believe that new technology creates opportunities to challenge traditional business models. Significant business opportunities exist for entrepreneurial companies with curious minds and a willingness to adapt.
- Our companies are not afraid of risk taking: Trustly continued to invest nearly all its time and capital into creating the most secure and customer friendly payment system in Europe. Proactive put all its efforts into developing a tool that will help companies enable their employees to perform in a much more sustainable way. We believe very strongly that without risk there is no reward. We spend great time and effort on making sure that we take the right risks. We try to impact our outcomes by exercising discipline in the execution of our business models.
- Our companies take and retain the initiative: Gardio launched the first social home alarm system. hemCheck pushed the button to initiate production of gadgets that will give health care systems effective blood sampling, globally. Opportunities never come to those who wait. We believe that only by taking the initiative can we earn the trust of customers, employees and co-investors. We believe that by taking the initiative we will maximise our chances of success.
And as Lloyd S. Shapley held his Nobel Prize lecture on dating and the rewards that go along with taking the initiative, little did he know, or care , that the core software engine of Phoniro actually came to life as a date matching service in Singapore, many years ago…
Turning to 2013, we will continue to be open for new investment opportunities but our focus will be on creating value in the companies where we’ve invested time and capital.
Thanks for reading this. Thanks for your trust and co-operation. And to our investee companies and their co-workers: Thanks for your very hard work. You are very valuable to us.
A special thanks to our investment partner in Uppsala, nxt2b and a very warm welcome to Tuula and Håkan who recently joined the Board of our investment company.
We wish you happy, peaceful holidays and a very successful, engaging and fun 2013.
Måns and Hjalmar
As of today, we are proud to announce the addition of Tuula-Anneli Tallavaara and Håkan Erixon to the Board of Directors of Alfvén & Didrikson Invest AB (ADI). Both Tuula and Håkan will also invest in ADI and help propel the investment activity.
Tuula is one of Sweden’s leading M&A lawyers and has been engaged with White & Case Law Firm and Advokatfirman Vinge in Stockholm. Håkan is one of Sweden’s most experienced investment professionals and is currently on the Board of Vattenfall AB in addition to the Listing Committee of the NasdaqOMX Stockholm. Before starting his own business, Håkan has been working with the Swedish Government, UBS Investment Bank and Merrill Lynch.
We wish Tuula and Håkan very much welcome and look forward to working together.
We have invested in Swedish home alarm business Gardio AB and its entrepreneurs Sven Hålling and Johan Fischer. Måns Alfvén will assume chairmanship. Gardio is among the world’s first social home alarms. The company provides a smart home security solution based on customer friendly technology and a straightforward business model. Order here.
Gardio is the home alarm of the future. Safe - Gardio gives you access to a manned guarding company when required. Close - Gardio gives you with visibility when the unexpected happens. Smart - Gardio uses smart cameras and the latest consumer technology. Customers are offered competitively priced and easy to use solutions. www.gardio.se
About Alfvén & Didrikson
Alfvén & Didrikson Invest AB (ADI) was founded in 2010 and is owned by Måns Alfvén and Hjalmar Didrikson. ADI invests in small and mid-sized privately owned European companies with exciting growth potential. The investment in Gardio is made through a subsidiary, BEMH Financial AB, jointly owned with Nexttobe AB (nxt2b) in Uppsala. Nxt2b was founded in 2011 by the entrepreneur Bengt Ågerup. www.alfvendidrikson.com